Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Chipping and Putting

Finally got another lesson. Boy was it fun! I desperately needed a chipping lesson as this area has been costing me at least 6 strokes a round. What did I learn? Well what finally clicked was that I have been standing to far from the ball at address. No wonders my back would hurt. I took the pros advice and stood closer to the ball and what do you know I started to hit some very crisp chips and believe it or not even got some spin on range balls. He suggested that I pick a club to chip with 90% of the time and stick to it. I have chosen the 60 degree for my weapon. Can't wait to practice as it was a lot of fun to hit chip after chip nicely. He suggested having my feet very close together and playing the ball back in the stance. After I got there it was basically just a matter of hitting it with my hands and arms like a putting stroke. I could of chipped for 2 more hours easily it was much fun. After the chipping we moved to the putting green. Picked up a couple of great practice tips this time. First we did some short puts, 4 footers, and put two tees in the ground a little over a balls width apart in front of the hole. I then hit puts never looking at the hole and keeping my head down for a three count. We also did a little drill that requires a right handed putter to look away from the hole after hitting the ball. Amazing what that does for you as far as keeping your head down and still. Great drills! Next we worked on reading greens. This was what I was really interested in. He tahgt me to visualize a big wall clock around the hole. Then look at the put from both sides and behind the hole for sure. From there he said to pick a time on the clock where I wanted to start the put. It worked very well and as long as I had the speed right the putts were very close. We probably putted 40 balls from about 30 feet with that drill with both left to right and right to left breaks. Very fun practice again. All and all I would have to say this was my favorite lesson to date. Next I get to actually play a round with him. To finish it off I will get to have my swing taped with the brand new machine they are getting in about two weeks. Will update again after my round.

No comments:

Post a Comment